Thursday, September 15, 2005

Web Cartoonists Do Good

General

Well folks, I'm as busy as ever, there probably won't be a SchpatDope again this week, but I'll do my best to get it out early next week. Everything is proceeding well. I still don't think massive amounts of explosives are the most humane way to euthanase a whale, but probably just the most cost effective humane way.

I'm looking forward to role-playing tonight, Al's game is also getting interesting.

In other good news my gout is acting up. "Good news?" you ask, well yes the incredible pain in my foot is giving me a lot of practice for shambling like a zombie, and just in time for next friday, although I seriously hope it's over by then.


Zombie Party update:

So not having a reply from the woman ant Nu Metro in almost a week I decide to phone her. She tells me that she has decided to give us some t-shirts and things and has asked her assistant to handle getting the stuff delivered to Canal Walk. So I spoke with her assistant and she knows nothing about it! I hope they can sort this stuff out.

If you haven’t seen it yet you can download the poster for the party here. Print it out and stick it up where you live, work and play!


Zombie costume tip for the day:

While make-up is important to your costume, it's not the most important thing. The most important thing is who you are as a zombie. By that I mean create a character, not a costume. We went along to the Dawn of the Dead release party held at "the doors" in edenvale last year, we didn't know that there was going to be a zombie contest or one of us would easily have won. Anyway at this lammer jo'burg costume thing the people that got dressed up only worried about make-up and not the whole picture. So many of them were heavily wrapped in bandages that one had to wonder if they had all died while in hospital. Basically they just looked really goth, not very creative now is it? Here's the thing, in the middle of walking dead epidemic people from all walks of life tend to die, choose something unusual and go with it. Develop a back-story for your character, decide who they were and how they died. This will lend an authenticity to your costume. Zombie construction workers, zombie nurses, zombie aerobics instructors, zombie mechanics and zombie policemen all make much better costumes than an arbitrary zombie in black with some bandages.

Comics Help out with Hurricane

There are a bunch of webcomic writers that are doing a telethon to raise money for hurricane relief. Check out their site, there are actually a lot a good comics, but unfortunately some really pants shit too. They've raised about $26K. I did get to see all sorts of comics that I don't normally read though and now there are six things I can tell you:"

1: Girl comics suck. They almost always involve cats and feelings! Now I've got nothing against cats, in fact I love them, but my god I don't care how cute your cat his or what profound thought he inspires in you he doesn’t even know about the fucking hurricane!

2: political comics double suck! I like my comics with a punch line, so a political comic that is a joke is cool, but one that just sentimentally shows scenes of hurricane victims and says the government is bad is pure kak.

3: sentimental comics suck, well this point is really just an extension of the previous two. Don't draw two people hugging and put a caption of "we will survive" on
and expect me to like it.

4: In case you haven’t realised yet: make your comic funny!

5: Art IS important. If your art sucks I probably won't even start reading the damn thing. Colour is not essential, but does help.

6: You are allowed to disregard all of the above, they are only my preferences.

Like I said I like humour in my comics, and it's even better if they are clever and topical. Here are two of my favourites from the telethon.







1000th visitor

Well Zenstar has chosen his prize, he's going for the box. I'll be delivering it to him tonight and I'll post pictures of what's in it tomorow for the rest of all y'all to see.

that's it, back to work.

3 comments:

Synkronos said...

Re: Whale euthanasia - I would just like to point out that you are not an expert. Nor am I. Nor even close to vaguely knowing what the fuck is going on. So, I'm not too sure how you can hold an opinion ;) And yes, I did note that you said 'I think'

Patrick Schreiber said...

synk:

opinion: a personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty

I hold the opinion that massive ammounts of anaesthetic would have been more humane.

Yancke:

Dionysus has always been the god of wine, it's just the way he was portrayed that was diffirent.

Patrick Schreiber said...

ok fixed the damn pdf.

Yancke, I love you even if you don't agree with me!

Invite me in person next time! *whisper* the others can't be trusted */whisper* ;)