Monday, August 01, 2005

I'll be rich soon.

Well, that was one of the nicest, fullest, most satisfying weekends I can remember. It's probably because I had taken the thursday off and so it felt longer.

On Saturday I spend the day cooking for my folks. It was the first time I'd ever invited them for supper, living in a 36sqmr box was not conducive to pleasant dinning for four people. The early afternoon was spent helping Elisabeth with pudding: white chocolate mousse with orange chocolate garnish. We also made some truffles with mixed success, they did however taste absolutely yummy. I started the main course at about four: Roast Sirloin with a mustard and garlic rub. That was yummy, but I'll put on more mustard next time. I served carrots, Broccoli & Cauliflower with cheese sauce, roast potatoes, and yorkshire pudding with gravy and side dishes. A lot of work, but well worth it. Everybody was suitably impressed, especially with the pudding, my dad managed to force down the "spare-incase-of-emergency" mousse.

Sunday was also good. We went back to the book sale and spent another bunch of cash and got another bunch of books. We also met my mother, brother and his girlfriend totally by chance and ended up having breakfast at the wimpy with them. When we got home we checked over our purchases and realised that we had bought another 49 books, bringing the total to 100 exactly, weird huh? I'm so glad I save up for this sale, it's really worth it.

I also watched a bunch of TV including the end of season 1 of 24. Good ending! The South African "Apprentice" is really disappointing. The people taking part are dumb, the tasks are stupid and Tokyo Sexwale is completely incoherent and self-absorbed. It's like a train wreck and I can't stop watching.

Here's a story to really put your faith in South Africa. Apparently Moloko Temo, a woman living in the Limpopo province, is 131. The story is a heart-warming jaunt through the incoherent ramblings of the senile old duck and the illogical assumptions of the South African Department of Home Affairs (DoHA). If Mrs Temo is indeed 131 years old she would be the oldest living human by 16 years. DoHA determined her age in 1988 by working off of things she said were happening while she was young. Seeing as how she was supposed to have been born in 1874 she would already have been 114 at the time! Her youngest Daughter is 79 years old meaning that Mrs Temo was 55 when she gave birth! These stupid assumptions are not even the worst part. The really scary bit is that while she is in all probability not 131 years old she definitely is completely senile and incapable of looking after herself, they still allowed her to vote in the general elections! Read the article if you want all the details. I really can't believe there is absolute no requirement of cogency and understanding for the right to vote!

Anyway, enough of stupid government policies, back to why I'll be rich soon. You observant lot out there may or may not have noticed the google ads at the top of the page but someone did. My ads have generated one click since I installed them and have earned me $0.03! That's like 0.1968ZAR! Now I'm contractually bound not to encourage you lot from clicking on the ads, but, when I get to $50.00 they send me a cheque and I'll use it to throw a party for my friends. It's only another 1667 clicks away!

No comments: