Tuesday, March 07, 2006

I'm Back

Well, I just haven't felt like blogging much, and it shows. Ever since November last year when I abandoned my "Large Posts In Sections" format it's just been very hard to focus and bring the very few readers anything worthwhile. Well, as of this post I'm going back to LPIS format and if you don't like it you can just skip the sections you despise, that's the beauty of the system!! I also want to get about three of these out a week. Anyway here goes.

In this issue Poker, Lonely Finger Revealed, News, Cape Town Power, Funny Picture and More....

POKER TOURNAMENT

Wow. That was my first impression when I got to the Rondebosch scout hall on saturday and saw about one hundred and fifty people milling around. There were so many people that a bunch of them had to be turned away, only a hundred and ten got to play. Then we took our seats, got a little chat from the organizers, and got underway in our games. My next reaction was a solid WOW, just at the quality of play. I was at a table of ten that seemed to have like three professional (by south african standards) poker players at it. It was really scary, everybody bullied! And bullied and bullied and bullied.

The tournament had "rebuys", this meant that if you busted out before the dinner break you could buy another set of chips and keep on playing. The rebuys made people play extremely loose, the table I was at had the most action. The organizers had expected twenty rebuys, five of them went to my table in the first hour. All the rebuys had been sold in the first hour. The "big pro" on my left rebought twice and went out very quickly, obviously the R100 entry fee meant very little to him.

I've already mentioned the bulling. I folded a lot because I had crap hands and I couldn't believe what these folks were playing on, they just had the right attitude. I had a pretty good table image, but I looked very weak, I'd seen a couple of flops and made it look as if I'd been bullied off a decent hand when in fact I had totally missed, I looked like a tight weak player and not the tight aggressive I actually am. I managed to steal a reraised pot after the flop because people thought that if I was betting I had something good, even though I totally missed. Then about ten minutes before the first break I was dealt TT in late position, I was significantly short stacked having lost about a third of my starting chips while the other 7 remaining players had shared out about seven stacks between them. I raised and it was folded to the BB who called. We saw the flop and it came out rainbow rags. That meant I had an over pair and I put the BB on a drawing hand that missed. I raised and he reraised enough to put my all in, about a third of his stack. He'd been playing very aggressively and I'd let him think that he'd scared me off a couple of hands, I knew he didn't have a made hand so I called. I showed him my TT and he showed QTd, without a diamond on the board he'd need to get a Q to beat me, on the flop I'm an 87% favorite. The turn comes out blank and my odds go up to 93%. The Q spikes on the river, what can you do. I smiled, said well done and calmly walked away. The guy who won was just not very friendly and totally acted as if he had done the right thing and had been wining the whole time. Losing the hand didn't really upset me, that shit happens, but the arrogant player who was all like "I'm so cool" was just irritating. If I had won like that I'd at least have admitted that I was lucky, and said sorry.

I survived the rebuys and was about the twentieth person knocked out. I still had fun though, and don't think I did too badly in my first real life encounter with serious poker players, I wasn't ready for this level of play and I hope to do better next time. After the main tournament I managed to get a 10 player R25 Sit 'n Go game going, we played one of those before the dinner break before people wanted the chips for a cash game. I went home and picked up my chips, and Conrad and Yanke, and headed back to play another two 10 player R25 SnG's. I came second in the last one and recovered my SnG losses. Yanke also did quite well in the last game.

I met a lot of really great guys, and a lot of real dicks. The guys who organised the event: Brendan, Simo and Pascal were just totally great. They did an excellent job, organisation was up to schpat standards.

I hear the next one of these is going to be even bigger and will be towards the end of April. Check out www.poker.org.za for more details.

IN THE NEWS

Was the Loch Ness Monster and Elephant? You decide.

You know you're white trash when you have so many family members in prison that it spawns a marketable enterprise.

It's called Tabooboo, it's pink and it dispenses sex toys in bars.

The fact that a mom learned karate to protect her son from bullies is not all that surprising, the fact that her son is twenty two years old is disturbing.

CAPE TOWN POWER

The power issue isn't even in the news anymore. Eskom does have a plan to sort the problem out before winter but the timeline is pretty tight.

Minister of Trade and Industry Alec Irwin was caught lying when he claimed that that Koeberg's problems were caused through "Sabotage". Well he was caught lying again when denying using the word sabotage. He was being recorded for TV at the time and it was simple enough to review the tapes. Do you really want somebody this stupid in charge of Trade and Industry?

Here's the quotey bit:

"I did not use the term sabotage. From every investigation we've done in Eskom and outside it is clear that the bolt was there with a very, very high probability of it being human instrumentality."

Now sabotage is apparently a "term" and not a word. Also wtf is human instrumentality? Does that mean that it would not have happened if someone had not done it? Doesn't that just mean "Human Error"?

TV footage shows Erwin saying:

"This is in fact not an accident. The investigations proceeded well and action will be taken of a legal nature and of a criminal charge nature. Any interference with any electricity installation is an exceptionally serious crime. It is sabotage."

So how do ya like them apples Alec?

The DA is calling for his resignation, I think he should seriously consider trying to influence local government election, and then denying it, a reason to resign.

LONELY FINGER REVEALED

Well it's finally been revealed and despite earlier confidence shown by Def it appears that he was wrong, sorry man I was rooting for you. It appears that the person who was "most right" was totawaste with the following.

"it's a finger-awareness program. we should all feel bad if we let our fingers feel lonely and unloved. and we should wear gloves."

Well you may have been the closest but you weren't very close at all so your prize will be commensurate with your accuracy. Also because you're in bloody Israel I'm not shipping the prize to you, you'll just have to pick up you bag of salty liquorice in person. You do like the black salty stuff right?

LIGHT MEAT?


MORE

Well I'm just signing off here but I'd like to talk about a Scientology plot that I have discovered. This weekend I watched "Garden State", a movie written, directed, and starring Zach Braff who plays JD in Scrubs. The movie was pretty cool, it had great actors (Ian Holm, Natalie Portman, Peter Sarsgaard), a very cool sound track and a decent story. So why was it a Scientologist plot? Well The movie was all about this dude who has lived his whole life heavily medicated on some form of psychiatric drugs, prescribed by his evil psychiatrist father. When he decides to stop taking these drugs many things in his life fall together, he comes to terms with his mother's death and finds love. So why bill this drama as a comedy? Well the Scientologists know that it you know that it's just Scientologic propaganda you'd never go see it. Even if it doesn't actually tout Scientology it's existence in pop culture merely works to strengthen peoples doubts and fears of medicine they don't understand. If the fact that they make many references to Zach Braff being Jewish in the film is not a smokescreen I don't know what is. The movie is also produced by Danny DeVito who, while not linked to Scientology himself, is a close personal friend of John Travolta.

Hah, told you so!

Ok this may seem like irrational conspiracy theory, and it is, but I've tried fighting these kooks with rationality, now it's time to fight crazy with crazy!

schpat out.

3 comments:

Adam Fisher / fisher king said...

BOO YAH!!
i love salted liquorice - i'm salivating already!

d❤vid said...

fight crazy, sure, but possibly not by slandering a good film?

do scientomogists dislike psychologists and psychiatrists equally?

Patrick Schreiber said...

D@vid, I didn't say anything about the quality of the movie. Just because a movie is scientologist propaganda doesn't mean it's no good. I also enjoyed Battlefield Earth btw, don't you still have my copy of that?