Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Lonely Finger Challenge

Well trust mr. completely unreliable, that's you James, not to arrive for role-playing last night. But it was ok because mr. somewhat unreliable, that's me, left his character sheet at home. I tried to get a game of something going but alas it was to no avail. We had a good time anyway just talking shit, isn't it always the case. We watched The Most Amazing Show starring Corne and Twakkie last night. All I have to say is that a chakra is like a starburst of energy in your poophol! Who says SACB isn’t educational?

Another interesting thing we saw last night was an advert for a website. The ad was about a finger (complete with animated face drawn in ball point) who was so lonely he couldn’t get people to come to his party even when he offered free beer and strippers. I just had to check the website out today to see what it was all about, I left no more enlightened than when I got there. Go check out the site and if you can work out what it is let me know, otherwise post your speculations here as comments and I’ll give a prize for the person who is right, if no one is right I’ll give a prize to the most interesting idea. www.lonelyfinger.com

I can't say what it is about this week but it seems as if everybody is just going through the motions and waiting for it to end, that's what you get in four day weeks I suppose.

I'm still in the cooling off period before I go out and order ADSL but it's looking more and more attractive all the time. In case you're interested here's the financial breakdown:

ADSL 192 circuit line rental (god telscum sucks!) R270
ISP 3 Gig cap R100
Total R370

The next best connectivity option is callmore with a capped charge per call.

Callmore monthly R90
20 Dial-ups* R170
ISP R70
Total R320

That means it'll cost me only R50 extra to be permanently connected even in peak periods and never worry about internet call costs, that's R50 for piece of mind and convenience.

*I've used 20 dial-ups because on average I spend about 1.5 - 3 hrs online at a time and so 20 dial-ups is the break even point where the extra R90 for Callmore is paid off. I do realise that these figures are rough with many variables, but I think they are good enough for decision making.

Also today I realised that about 80% of my call charges are Elisabeth phoning me at work. If we can communicate via email it would save money. If we could manage only half of our communications this way it's going to save about R80, that means a saving of R30 per month, instant value!

Of course amortising the initial setup costs (R1500, ADSL wireless router with ethernet and wireless cards for my pc and Elisabeth's laptop) at R30 per month will take about four years. I could have gotten a modem for free and run cables, but ultimately R1500 is a small price to pay for not having the hassles of running wires in odd places or having them running across my lounge floor and being able to use the laptop anywhere in the flat.

Bottom line: I've been waiting and I'm still keen to do it. It's not a rash decision and I'm going to go for it.

After all that I'm going to leave you with a joke forwarded to me by the creator of Leisure Suit Larry, Al Lowe.

"Some girl on the street outside the bar just asked me if I was saved yet."
"Yeah? What did you say?"
"I told her 'I saved at the checkpoint a couple of minutes back and I can reload from there if I die.' She looked confused."

lol, geek anti evangelism humour, gotta love it!

schpat

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

SCHPATT !!
I keel you dead. Who r U 2 call me unreliable, need I remind U of your poker thingy which u failed to remind me about except for on the day at the last second.
Anyway I gave my reasons to moonflake's bitch!
asta.

Anonymous said...

You really giving away a prize?

I have two suggestions for the reason behind finger:

1) The only coorporation that is launching soon that will have the funds for this is Virgin Mobile.
They are opening operations up here, using CellC's infrastructure.

They could be then be doing this to build up hype much in the same way that CellC made those cryptic adverts about the letter "C" before their launch.

OR
2) It is a psycho spending all his resources on going out with a bang. (and with other people).
But, the likely hood of a reputable design company being associated with such an activity is almost zero.

So, that makes 1) the winner :)

& me too I hope :)

Anonymous said...

Im taking a stab that its 33degrees / Gloo's weird and freaky new marketing manager who thinks this marketing angle "just cant fail!".

Ive heard of the Virgin thing, but how the hell they gona tie lonelyfinger and Virgin together? Anything is possible with Richard Branson...

Anonymous said...

From www.defza.com:

Well well, what do we have here....

www.virginmobile.co.za

And I quote:
We'd cut off a toe to give customers what they want.

mm...

I'm guessing... their tag line is going to be "We'd cut off a finger to give customers what they want."

hence... the existance of lonely finger!

They probably just used the word 'toe' on the site for the moment, not to raise 'suspicion'. As if that worked :)

---

it's almost time for the revelation of lonelyfinger.com! (feb. '06)
I'm so excited :) What do I win Schpat :)
Students like free stuff :)
:D