Thursday, October 13, 2005

Damn Revisionists!

Here is my blog post for today, hopefully I'll make another tomorrow.

For the ultimate in irony check out this story. This is happening because of new farm invasions on already state owned farms. Well Bob, what you've got to understand is that when you tell people they can just take whatever they want, you'd better make sure you don't have anything that they want! oh, the irony!!

I was checking out a forum for my new camera and came accross someone who was at Kirstenbosch and had taken some pictures of what they claimed to be Colonel Bird's bath. Being my friendly self I corrected that that it was actually Lady Anne Barnard's bath and that it was called the Bird Bath because of the shape. That's the way that I remeber it. And I used to go there like twice a month with my Gran. Anyway this woman was adament so I did some checking and lo and behold she could actually be right. There is some confusion as to who's bath it is and why it is called the "Bird Bath" This is the best discussion I can find on the topic from this site.

Your Peninsula tour will also surely include the Kirstenbosch Botanical Garden, known for its superb scenery, as well as being the best place to get an idea of the richness of the Cape Floral Kingdom. In the garden is the spring of the Liesbeek River. In this spring, too, lady Anne Barnard is said to bathed nude while on a picnic. For this reason, the bird-shaped sunken pool at the spring is sometimes called Lady Anne Barnard's Bath. However, she may have bathed in the spring before the pool was built. It is also called the Bird Bath, and some say that it is not because it is shaped like a bird, or because it is for the benefit of birds, but because it is supposed to have been built by one Colonel Bird, in 1811. (The pool, however, is built of Batavian bricks. Batavia was a Dutch colony in the East Indies. Would Colonel Bird have still been importing bricks from there, five years into the second British occupation of the Cape?) Again, Lady Anne haunts the castle, so why not here?


Again I distinctly remeber that it was Lady Anne Barnard's Bath. Somewhere along the line the "offical" story has changed, the Kirstenbosch web site makes no mention of Lady Anne what so ever. I'm actually quite interesed in this and I'd like to know why it was changed.

Looter guy pic of the day



I'm atuclly really looking forward to RPG tonight and I'm really disapointed that we didn't play on tuesday. Hold'em was really cool, but just to be clear I sent Yanke home to do his assignment because I was worried about it, and not because I wanted to play poker. If I could change something about my time at Varsity I would have arsed around less and put more effort into my studies, not studied to the exclusion of all else mind you but concentrated more and maybe cut my degree time down by a year.


here is an interesting story, the next space tourist is a self confessed Gundam otaku. It reminds me of the line in "Common People":

Nobody likes a tourist, especially when they think it's all such a laugh!

In this case though the people don't hate the rich kid for mocking them, but just because being rich lets him go into space dressed as his favorite cartoon character. Man I hate him too!

schpat

3 comments:

Patrick Schreiber said...

sorry Moonie but here is the first paragraph from the article:

Harare - President Robert Mugabe's government will outlaw occupation of state land after reports of fresh farm seizures in eastern Zimbabwe, Justice Minister Patrick Chinamasa said in a broadcast on Thursday.

Notice the fresh part. Admittedly this legislation does have the same effect as you are describling but I was pointeing out that ol' Bob-up-north is more than happy for "war veterans" to occupy land blonging to others, but when they decide to take his land he gets upset. Even though he probably personally owns 20 times ore land than the richest white farmer ever did.

As too Lady Anne, look out for a SchpatDope with local flavor! It may take a while because I'd like to do some real research on this one.

Patrick Schreiber said...

Moonie, As far as I understand it, these are farms that are already owned by the state. Either Expropriated or bought with the money the British government supplied for land redistribution.

Anonymous said...

The two idiots who are going to sea. Let me give you some facts.
1: They have no 501c3 yet they are excepting donations and are not paying taxes. They have never filed taxes.
2: Reid Stowe owes over $20,000 in back child support and is leaving the country.
3: He has no Captains, license, insurance or sewage holding tanks and has been dumping his Shit into the Hudson.
4: He has a record for running drugs with this boat. His brother Robert is getting out of jail 11/7/05 from the federal prison in Arizona for drug trafficing and brother Harry Jr otherwise known as Wave is docked next to Reid has been running from the law for again Drugs for 17 years.
5: 1st ex wife is an Oceanographer with the university of Hawaii. The truth is no girls want to go with him
The fact he is conning the world is sickening