Monday, June 06, 2005

A Very Full Weekend

As the title (and length) of this post suggests I was very busy this weekend.

It started on friday night with ben's birthday party. A small get together at Anton's place that was supposed to be a surprise, and was even though I almost ruined it. It was great to see a bunch of people that I haven’t seen in a while. We played a rousing game of trivial pursuit and despite a well maintained early lead by my team (we were playing in teams of 4) Nick Wonfor's knowledge of inane trivia proved to out surpass both Michelle's and my own. By god he knew that the Viscount was the plane replaced by the Boeing in South African skies. They also got two questions about Errol Flyn. The other people on our team did however fulfil very important niche roles with Anton knowing how many guns there were at some or other place during some or other battle, that's the kinda stuff I just can't remember.

That party ended very late and my arriving home at 2:25 am was punctuated by a series of rather large crashes as I tried to slam my front door closed. It has begun to stick. Needless to say my neighbours and Elisabeth were considerably less than impressed with this situation.

I got up at 8:00 and stared doing a few things, had breakfast and watched some telly with Elisabeth, Then I went to Chelle's place to split the Doomtown pot. We had Geoff, Tim, Jason, Alastair, Alex, Chelle and me there and the pot was decisively split. Everyone got some nice cards, and Chelle and I got some of our cash back, Tim still owes me some. I decided to keep some of my cards unopened so that I had something to do on a rainy day. I had also brought around a bag of steak and some rolls but Chelle and Alex had eaten so we decided to eat them for supper before we went out to the one ring for Alex's birthday thing.

I left and went to see my dad so that i could borrow some power tools with which to fix my front door and not have to wake my entire complex when I got back from TOR later. When I got home I made lunch and got to fixing the door. The first thing I did was actually look to see where the problem was. It appeared that when I changed the lock on my door (when I lost my keys) I had misaligned the lock and the striker plate and that was causing the door to jam. So I got out the only power tool that I personally own (an electric screwdriver) and removed the lock, hey presto to door was closing just fine! I didn't even need those tools I'd borrowed from my dad. So I realigned the lock and the striker plate and settled in for a relaxing afternoon reading.

As I was leaving for Chelle's place for supper I realised that the door was jamming again, fuck! It was too late to try fixing it so I warned Elisabeth and went out. Supper was a bit disappointing, but not because of Chelle's cooking, but rather because my meat was slightly dissatisfactory. Alex and I finally played soccer on the PS2 and Each won a match, the final game was a draw. Alex did keep fouling Beckam, but who can blame him. I think the game is fun as a two player thing, at least it is different to tekken, and our skills are evenly matched.

Then we left for TOR goodness and pool. The tip of my brother's CUE (i'm tempted to spell it que again because of the way people were going on about it, read my very first post is it bothers you) had the most worn tip I have ever seen, but I doubt if it affected my game at all. I played rather well all things considered, even having one run where I sunk 5 balls, two of them simultaneously. I also made the conscious decision not to get too drunk, this means I was only mildly drunk and I can still remember most of what happened. We talked about setting a date for SchpatCON, no conclusion was reached but I'm favouring the first weekend of study week. It was great seeing a bunch of people that I had not seen in a long time, and talking a lot of shit. It was one of the highlights of my year.

After a final two doubles games with Garrick against waynne and Alastair which ended in a win each way and me refusing more alcohol we all left for Chelle's place and coffee. I was giving Alex and Chelle a lift home and we stopped for milk, and got some pies too. We got back and were surprised to find that the rest of the people had not yet arrived. We ate our pies and watched the final battle scene of SWIV:ANH and decided that it was a good thing that the others hadn't pitched because it was 3:30am and it was time to sleep, or in my case wake the neighbours.

Actually by the time I got home I didn't care how much noise I made, I was tired and I needed sleep. I crashed into bed at 4:05am.

Most of my sunday was spent sleeping, I woke up at 12:00 and made breakfast: scrambled egg, avo and smoked salmon. Then I decided to fix the door. Guess what, it wasn't jamming. Weird huh? Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't, if it is the lock jamming it would happen all the time, and if the door was swollen due to the weather it surly wouldn't expand and contract that quickly. I need to study this phenomena in more detail, and make notes.

As about 15:30 when I had almost drifted off to sleep again I got a call from my colleague asking how my work had gone that morning. PANIC!!! I forgot about having to come into work! I rushed in and did my stuff before the batch run kicked off. It all seems fine this morning.

Then I got ready made tv dinners from woolies and settled down to a relaxing evening watching robots, but I fell asleep halfway through.

later
schpat

No comments: