Friday, November 25, 2005

You can't fight City Hall

DRAWN OUT DRAMA

Well, I went to the city hall to speak to them about a fine I got for driving without a licence. I explained that I did in fact have a licence, but it was stolen six months ago and I have applied for a new one, but it has not yet arrived. Well of course, they sent me to speak with someone else. On my way to the fourth person I had to speak to I was starting to be reminded of the Twelve Tasks of Asterix. When I got to the office there was a huge Astrix poster next to it, the Cape Town Children’s library is opposite the corridor. I can't help thinking that some petty bureaucrat is having a laugh. Well I was defeated, they took my fine forms, didn't give me a receipt, and told be to come back on Wednesday.

City Hall 1
Schpat O

ON THE WIRES

This church in Norway has had a Harry Potter themed mass to coincide with the release of the new movie there. They played the theme music and the participants were dressed in fancy dress including dark robes. Obviously some people were upset. A theologian named Hakon Stornes, who is also a priest, criticised the service:

"Harry Potter's literary universe is set in a magical adventure land, far from what children today experience as relevant for their daily lives."

My answer to that: "Yeah, and 2000 years ago the Middle East was exactly like suburban Norway!"

Scientist and the General Public both agree that Newton had more of an impact the Einstein. the survey showed that 50.1% of the public preferred Newton over Einstein (49.9%). Newton won by more of a landslide among scientists thought, 60.9% vs 39.1%.

A man in Croatia is trying to settle his debts by selling is body parts. The has offered a kidney and a cornea up for sale, even though it is illegal to do so in Croatia. He owes about R245 000.

FREEGANISIM

Well a story on IOL today brought a group calling themselves "Freegans" to my attention. If you hate the consumer world we live in and don't want to contribute to it then Freeganisim is the answer to you. A lot like the way vegans believe that by not partaking of animal products they are not contributing to the demand and therefore the industry, these people believe that if you only use stuff that was free then you are not contributing to the rising consumerism. How do you go about getting all this free stuff? Well the answer is simple: Dumpster Diving. They claim to get nearly everything for free from dumpsters, including food. For shelter they squat. If you feel an urgent need to become a freeloading hippie you can check out this site for more info. What I found quite amusing was that there was a section of the site the sold how to guides, as an example there is a 22 min how to video for sale for $20. Everything for free huh?

HUH???



SINGING OFF

Last night at role-plying I realised that our little Thursday night [why isn't that Thursnight?] group has two couples in it! I'm starting to feel out numbered, maybe HoleyCrusader and I should "hook-up" so that we don't feel left out. Other than that I'm going to my folks for supper now also I'm bummed that today isn't payday like I thought, gonna have to wait till Monday. Five week months, don't ya love 'em.

schpat

2 comments:

Synkronos said...

With you and Waynne, at least there would be an obvious bitch/butch role division. With you and Al, it wouldn't be so cut and dried. What about a threesome? Then nobody gets left out, and you only need one bitch in that situation (also called 'the filling in the manwich').

Okay, sometimes I disgust even myself.

Patrick Schreiber said...

Hey about the whole bitch/butch with Waynne and I, you forget my man bosoms, those things aren't just for show you know!.